Friday 7 October 2016

Six things asked

One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter." 
-Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland 
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/18/bb/04/18bb047b96848f06e4680ff2b1ede363.jpg


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Keeping with this theme of six things, I asked my readers to ask me questions they have been meaning to put to me. Here are six of them, with my answers, below. I accept no responsibility for answers you do not like.

1. How long does it take you to write a book?
It’s hard to say, because I write sporadically throughout the year according to the school terms and the academic calendar, but all up I suppose about eighteen months? My books are quite lengthy for YA novels – if I wrote shorter I could maybe get them done more quickly. 

2. Why did you choose to set it in Ireland?
I have asked myself this many times – why set my story somewhere so far away instead of somewhere I know? For some reason I have always felt an attraction to Ireland as a place, though I have not yet been there. In my mind I have this association with old magic, and I was maybe trying to connect with that. Plus, I think I really liked the idea of Aristea and Renatus talking with an Irish accent. 

3. Do you have anyone in mind for the movie adaptations?
Theo James for Renatus.
http://67.media.tumblr.com/0dac14d3313810daa06ee0ffc1b6b0e3/tumblr_ml1o55h3WO1s6pbyro1_500.gif

4. What is your favourite scene from Unbidden?
The best scene to write was the masquerade sequence. I looked forward to writing that for years before I reached that point in the series! 

5.  How do you find the time to write? 
I get this one a lot. I suppose I do it instead of other things that other people do, like going to the movies or baking. I'm also uncomfortably strict on my time. I can't watch Netflix unless I am also folding washing or laminating. 

6. HAVE YOU STARTED THE FOURTH BOOK?!? 
YES! I have written the first chapter, and it starts with a bang. Hopefully I can get into it when school breaks up over Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment