Monday 27 February 2017

Book Review: The Messenger, by Markus Zusak

The MessengerThe Messenger by Markus Zusak
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What a lovely book. I suspected I would enjoy it, having loved The Book Thief, and I was not in the least disappointed. I found the whole thing such an original concept, this placid no-hoper protagonist drifting through life until unexpectedly, a series of playing cards appear in his letterbox with clues directing him to the homes of strangers who, in different ways, need him to help them find what will bring them happiness. Ed is the messenger, finding courage and soul and integrity inside himself as he divines his way through these challenges and connects each of his 'messages' with their needs, finding his place in the world while he is at it. I loved the Australianness of the language, setting and detail; I loved the beauty of Zusak's way with words. I smiled as I read the ending, which I did not see coming, though I knew there had to be some unique answer to it all. In summary, a beautiful, lovely book, light and casual but with heart.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment