Monday 24 April 2017

Comic Book Review: X-Files X Mas Special 2016, by Joe Harris and Wayne Nichols

X-files X mas special 2016X-files X mas special 2016 by Joe Harris
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I don't normally read comics but I had the pleasure of meeting the artist at Supanova and I adore The X-Files so I made an exception. The story draws on the Ebenezer Scrooge tale of a man without Christmas spirit (Mulder) who is so determinedly miserable and focused that he is forgetting to appreciate what he has, has had and will have (a few things, but mostly Scully). Harris works his story well within the constraints of the medium and Nichols' artwork contributes perfectly to conveying this narrative with utmost impact and detail. Always with comics, I feel there's room for elaboration or more development, but I respect that it's not fair to apply novel expectations to a different form. Wayne Nichols' art style is very clear and attractive - different from my albeit limited prior exposure to comic art - and both Nichols and Harris, in their own way, do the characters and the fandom justice. I thoroughly enjoyed this read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment